Monday, 11 February 2013

Big scribble

It sits on a sloping piece of land overlooking the bay with the Geelong waterfront in the back ground. I didn't visit intentionally - I was enjoying the water views and feeling uplifted after a walk through the beautiful Geelong Botanic Gardens. At first I thought it was some kind of race track. Go-karts or motorbikes perhaps? But they weren't white painted tyres, they were rocks. And edging a race track with rocks seems like a public liability nightmare. So I went for a closer look. I find a sign that expalins all. A 2006 'land art' work by Andrew Rogers. It's called Rythymns of Life. And in these days of easy access to aerial photography (Google Earth etc), I'm surprised that there haven't been more art projects like it. That said, the shape of the work viewed via aerial photography was a lot less interesting than the experience of the work on the ground. Fortunately, viewed from ground level the shape doesn't matter at all. It's all about the flowing lines of rocks interacting with the site contours.

The artist has done similar projects all over the world, including replicating the same shape in Antarctica, India, the USA and Israel.